[Opensim-users] OpenSim users list purpose (was Re: Opensim-users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 30)

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 01:45:09 UTC 2010

Thanks Chris.  I would like to make it clear that I actually think discussion of applications of OpenSim in areas such
as education is fine on the -users list right now.  If the volume gets too much then another list could be split off.

I'm wary of splitting up lists before demand is demonstrated by actual discussion.  But as Diva said, this certainly
doesn't stop people creating their own lists or forums.

As always, this kind of community evolution is complex and I find that the best balance only becomes clear over time.

Where I think we do need to draw the line is at topics which are only distantly related to actually working with the
OpenSim project, for the reasons previously stated.

On 21/12/10 12:57, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful reply. If anyone on the list was unsure about the purpose of opensim-users before, your
> response should  clear up any confusion.  The description you added on the wiki is also great and should help newcomers
> better understand what's expected of them.
>
> It makes perfect sense that a user support list should be more tightly focused than a general community mailing list so
> that it's easy for those providing the support to read and reply quickly. I think if people are aware of that when they
> sign up there will be fewer general discussion type posts and help minimize the need to shepherd the discussion back on
> track.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>

> Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> Project Manager, UC Second Life
> Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
> UCit Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406E Zimmer Hall
> PO Box 210088