[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 30

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 20:00:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 09:08 -0500, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> This has nothing to do with educators.  This has to do with the fact
> that the sign up page for opensim-users has absolutely zero
> information about the posting guidelines - which appear to be far more
> restrictive than other lists people have used - and instead of
> politely explaining the situation to newcomers, the norm here appears
> to be to respond to anything perceived as off topic with rudeness and
> short replies calling perfectly useful information "spam".  (Or a
> sincere attempt to be helpful "pontificating".)   A very polite
> suggestion for how to better communicate the expectations in
> advance so people know what the ground rules are is not unreasonable
> and in fact would go a long way in helping preserve the norms of the
> list.
>

> I'm sure it's difficult to deal with sudden influxes of new users who
> may not be used to the particular culture of this list, I'm merely
> suggesting that there are better ways to keep things on topic than
> being mean.

On the majority of Linux lists that I'm on, top posting would get you
tossed. 2nd in line for becoming beset upon by the user pack is failing
to trim posts of all the logs after being posted and re-posted. Yet, we
tolerate some OT as a little bit of digression, as merely human. Ric

Linux user# 44256