[Opensim-users] Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

iSkye Silverweb iskye.silverweb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:45:52 UTC 2010

I'm sorry if we are testing some people's patience on this.  All the help
thus far is much appreciated.  We have a lot to do, just as we're sure
everyone here on this list is also very busy.  We would REALLY like to get
this solved.

Initially, we followed the steps of installing the Diva distribution, and
the result was that our UK guy could log in from the LAN, but the two
external users could not get past the handshake.  Then, the going round in
circles started.

Let me give a recap of all we've checked, just so we're clear:

Yes, we did look at the various websites like the one at the link you gave,
Diva, when installing the distro, and we followed the instructions, and we
have since checked and rechecked several times as the only help we seem to
be getting is links to the ports issue.

YES, port 9000 is open on the server machine for TCP and UDP
YES, ports 9001 to 9003 are open for UDP
We have used a port checker which confirmed this, and
YES, they are open on the firewall and directed to the server machine.
We have checked with port checkers both from inside and outside the network.

YES, all address references in the myworld.ini and regions files point to
the DYNDNS address
YES, we have changed all the inside-LAN clients' hostfiles to point to the
DYNDNS address to the server

We even bought a new router, since we learned the previous one was an older
model that did not support NAT loopback, after attempting multiple
(fruitless) firmware updates.  The new router is a Sagem F at ST 2504 with
firmware version 2.8Sky (our broadband provider is Sky), which supposedly
does support NAT loopback.

As a result:
EXTERNAL users can now get in, past the handshake and inworld, but
INTERNAL users fail at handshake.

As we have said, the only way we we seem to get internal users in is by
adding an entry in the hosts file of the SERVER machine, which then prevents
people from outside getting in until that entry is removed from the hosts
file on the server machine.  This is kludgy and not a good permanent
solution, but it enables us to work together.

I hope this has made our problem more clear and that there is a solution
other than to keep checking the same information we have already looked at
and tried.  All your help is very much appreciated, and we've learned an
enormous amount thus far, but we are still stymied by this last bit.