[Opensim-users] How to export to OpenSim

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sat Aug 28 11:52:10 UTC 2010

On la, 2010-08-28 at 02:23 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> As a long time Poser enthusiast with 14Gb of Poser based models, I
> count myself as one of those eagerly awaiting mesh support!

This begs the question - why not give the existing opensource tech for
opensim & meshes a try then?

You don't have to even install the rex module to your server if wan't to
try, 'cause the default realXtend test world at world.realxtend.org:9000
is configured with auth off and allows building, so works as a sandbox.
We also had a rex-enabled region on osgrid at a point, perhaps should
put it back on so you can just teleport.

I've experienced that testing out and doing things, like putting some of
your favourite meshes to a scene so that can walk around them, perhaps
attach some fun LSL to them etc., gives you more ideas of what can do
etc., so can be useful even if you don't up ending that tech for
production. BTW in rex you can also use skeletal animations in normal
meshes in the scene (not just avatars).

> Many of the "hooks" have been added to OS V0.7.xx, but there is still
> work to be done.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed, apart from Adam's SOG/SOP refactor
in that branch which is partly about changing the internals so that
things like prims and meshes can be implemented in modules (ModMesh,
ModPrim etc. that add those components and can be configured on/off
etc).

Sure it'll probably be great when Linden finally comes out of the closet
with their LLMesh support. I've personally been quite surprised that
it's been taking so long, after they started on it 1,5 years ago and
showing screenshots a year ago and people saying in early Feb this year
that it'd be out of the private testing in late Feb etc. But I guess
things are not so easy when you have a world to run with lots of people
using it etc.

So am curious if there's something stopping you now, and we can help if
there are questions or quirks along the road.

> Karen

~Toni

BTW: after we introduced the mesh support 2,5 years ago, we haven't been
just sitting on our hands but done some other things .. like full scene
export from blender & max & maya and friends, a new modular viewer with
a customizable UI, support for adding your own client side features in
plugins, and now finally support for arbitary data in scene entities
that is synched between the server & all clients so custom functionality
can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and make new demos
during the rest of the year so can show something fun :)

It is all developed in the open, no behind closed doors dev or private
betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions etc .. so please
feel free to try and welcome to participate!