[Opensim-users] How to export to OpenSim

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 20:01:12 UTC 2010

This may be a much deeper problems than you realize.

3ds max and blender at least normally use a "mesh" of points to represent a
surface and hence an object, Second Life and OpenSimulator use somehting
called "prims" to do the same thing.

>From the wiki:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Artist_Home

Models are 3 dimensional objects which are formed from faces and textures.
Models come in many flavors but currently OpenSimulator supports
parametrized primitives and sculpted primitives. Parametrized primitives can
be created in world with build functionality. Sculpted primitives are
defined by a special bitmap image which can be created with 3d modeling
programs which support sculptures.

Yet unsupported in core OpenSimulator are 3d models which can be created
with 3d modeling softwares like Blender and be saved in various formats.
RealXtend module to OpenSimulator already supports 3d models.