[Opensim-users] Real life heightmaps in opensim.

wallen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue Aug 10 15:28:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 08:56 -0600, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

> If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll
> need to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256
> pixels in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim
> region with the console.

The question I've always had here is how to scale the image?  The region
is 256x256 pixels, but does a real world landscape need to be scaled to
1 inch per pixel, 1 foot per pixel, 1 meter per pixel, one mile per
pixel, one kilometer per pixel, ....?

I would like to create a virtual representation of a real property about
2 miles square.  What would be a reasonable scaling for this?  How many
regions would I need to make this work?

- Wayde