[Opensim-users] OS

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:35:16 UTC 2010

I suspect that the "best" OS really depends what is "best" for you -
certainly OpenSim runs very well on just about any version of Windows and
the *NIX systems. The differences really boil down to what is th emost
convenient way to manage things like backups.

Personally I use Ubuntu 10.04, but I have run an OpenSim standalone on Win
2K, Win XP and Win 7 with minimal problems.

My preference is to open a terminal window to keep track of the messages and
dialog to/from the simulator, it is verbose but less of a hassle than
searching the logs every time there is a hiccup.

I would be especially interested in the answer to Robert's question however.
While a "live CD" would be useful, my longer term migration plans are to
package up my standalone sim and "port" it to a commercial VPS provider if
traffic ever justifies the move or simply as a learning exercise.

This does raise the question of exactly what needs to be uploaded to the
server, which is essentially the same question that Robert is asking. Some
comments on actual operation of such a remote system would be helpful too.

I suspect that this is something that would interest quite a few OpenSIm
users - a home set up works well for experimenting, but bandwidth
limitations dictate a commercail server for any true "public" access.

Karen