[Opensim-users] Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:41:40 UTC 2009

Jabba Gruppman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit lost with the changes in 0.6.7 regarding how to set up
> multiple regions.
> Formerly I used to have several xml files in the Regions/ directory and
> all was
> working fine.
>
> After OpenSim.exe was not coming up correctly after installing 0.6.7

You might want to go back and double check.  I still have a trunk OpenSim which
is fine using multiple region xml files.  The same should be true of 0.6.7.

> I removed the old xml files from the Regions directory and created one
> single
> region manually using the interactive config of OpenSim.exe
> I was successful and OpenSim.exe started without problems. After this I
> found
> a Regions.ini file in the Regions directory...
>
> Unfortunately the wiki at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
> still tells
> about the xml configuration which seems to be outdated now.

You're right, this is bad, the doc really needs to be updated here.

I had completely forgotten that the regions default had changed to .ini between
0.6.6 and 0.6.7.

> How is the correct way of setting up multiple regions for one single
> OpenSim.exe
> instance now? Maybe anyone has a good link to an example?

 From reading the code, I think that it should be possible either to

1)  Specify multiple regions in a single ini file (e.g. Regions.ini).  For example

[Big Fat Region]
RegionUUID = 5ce85740-6460-43d3-ba4c-29207b010072
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay

[Greek Wedding]
RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
Location = 1000,1001
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9001
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay

or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
also work.

I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey