[Opensim-users] Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Richard Taft taftr_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 17:09:26 UTC 2009

I had this with a New install of 0.6.6 on a Fedora 11 server.  This is what I did.

Set internal address to the internal address of the opensim server
set external to the outside address of your modem
open ports 9000 to 9020 on the router firewall
forward ports 9000 to 9020 from the router to the internal IP address of the OpenSim Server
open ports 9000 to 9020 on the servers firewall.
Update the IPTables with the Following Commands

Unix
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP
service iptables restart

Windows:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP

Configure your client to use the External IP address.  All of this came after digging through multiple pages in the Wiki. Took me a couple of late nights to piece what was right and what was incorrect from the Wiki.  But this all seemed to work.

Rich