[Opensim-users] OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Wed Oct 7 18:21:34 UTC 2009

On 10/06/2009 10:08 PM, clive gould wrote:
> 1) Is it necessary to install mono base as the root user and then
> install mono as the opensim user? I can understand the need for the
> opensim user installation of mono but am not quite sure if the root
> install of mono base as root is necessary as well.

The way you install things in your blog you need to do it as root.
However it is not a general requirement for mono.  It's important that
Opensim run the desired version of mono.  For our RHEL servers we were
doing local to opensim installs of desired mono versions.  That can
avoid conflicts with the system package management.   The Opensim users
path needs to be configured to run the local mono.

> 2) In the instructions I came across git was also installed.
> Presumably git is only needed if you're fetching the pre-release
> versions of OpenSim and not if you're downloading a full .tar.gz
> release?

Correct.  You only need git if you manage the source content that way.
Getting the tar archives should not require git.

I expect that more and more you will see Opensim users using
distributions like Diva's instead of the direct sources.

John./JohnnyB Hammerer