[Opensim-users] OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

clive gould cliveg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 05:08:46 UTC 2009

Hi

I've written an install blog for OpenSim under CentOS 5.3, but there
are a couple of questions that have been troubling me. I got my
original installation instructions from a variety of sources and am
starting to wonder if all the steps I have followed are absolutely
necessary. Apologies for asking some fairly basic questions, but I'd
like to make the blog as useful as possible to others.

1) Is it necessary to install mono base as the root user and then
install mono as the opensim user? I can understand the need for the
opensim user installation of mono but am not quite sure if the root
install of mono base as root is necessary as well.

2) In the instructions I came across git was also installed.
Presumably git is only needed if you're fetching the pre-release
versions of OpenSim and not if you're downloading a full .tar.gz
release?

If you've got the time you can read the blog (which also includes
instructions on installing Diva's megaregion version) at:

http://www.linuxtraining.org.uk/blogger4.html

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Clive