[Opensim-users] Parcel Archiver?

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 08:19:42 UTC 2009

I am tempted to say that individual parcel backups is not a good idea.  If
one is building on a parcel, as opposed to a full region, then simply
maintaining copies of their items in their inventory should be adequate.

Parcels come in so many sizes and making a backup would require the new
parcel for a restore would have to be identical in dimensions.  So this can
be very complex if you have a parcel that, for example, lies along a road so
the side of your parcel is angular.  Or if you have an odd-shaped parcel or
a combination of parcels that are separated by other parcels you do not own.

Backing up a region is simple enough given the standard dimensions, even
when dealing with megaregions, which are really just a combination of
multiple "regular" regions of standard size.

So I feel that backing up personal parcels should remain the process of
maintaining items in your personal inventory and making a backup of THAT
rather than the parcel area itself.

- Len W. Brown
     lenwbrown at gmail.com