[Opensim-users] How to change a prim's texture

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Nov 13 11:30:09 UTC 2009

matan keret kirjoitti:
> I found that osSetDynamicTexture is pretty abstract. It uses a
> "dynamicTexture updater" and keeps going deeper and deeper to no end.
> Moreover it sets a url as a texture (or suppose to do that in the end)
> and I need a regular image.

No a URL can't be a texture in vanilla opensim, it is an image in the
end. And there can't be "no end", the implementation is there at the end
of the chain, otherwise it wouldn't do anything. In visual studio at
least it's quite easy to rightclick -> go to definition.

In ModRex the texture can be/have a URL too (mediaurl), that the client
fetches and uses as a texture, but that's not related to this.

> That's why i tried to use llSetTexture. I understood from the API that
> i need to add the image to an asset, store it and then use
> llSetTexture, but this doesn't work and I can't seem to find the reason.
> Do I need to add it to the inventory as well?
> Do I do something wrong with the image itself (wrong decoding perhaps)?

It would be helpful for others to see the source, if you can
permission/legalwise put it on-line somewhere and post a link here. You
showed it yesterday on irc and I didn't see anything wrong with it, but
I know quite little about Opensim asset system internals (only added the
rexSetMediaURL scripting method 1,5years ago which had to create assets
etc. but don't recall much and things have perhaps changed since too).

AFAIK it doesn't have to be in any inventory to show.

>   Matan

~Toni