[Opensim-users] MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

William Magee billmagee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:26:50 UTC 2009

Thanks Karen, you are right about /var/lib/mysql. This could have been
a crucial error on my part!

I use a bash script for backup:

bkupname=databasename_bkup_$(date +"%a_%b_%d_%Y_%H_%M_%S").mysql_bkup
mysqldump -u username -p databasename > $bkupname

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Karen Palen <karen_palen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The database is critical enough that I do both - NOW!
>
> I use MySQL Administrator which includes a simple database backup. It also drives some database checking and repair tools that are worthwhile.
>
> I don't have a lot of experience with MySQL, but I have had enough experience with databases in the past to know that they get to be the "family jewels" of your entire project!
>
> Karen

William Magee, Ph.D.
XVIth Congress of the IABS, Planning Committee Chair
Dharma Drum Buddhist College
Jinshan, Taiwan