[Opensim-users] Making Viewer Portable

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:56:56 UTC 2009

Well, thing is - that is just one of many different settings that need to be
controlled.

If you go into the file menu "Edit" and then "Preferences" and adjust such
things as "Hide My Name On My Screen" and Graphics settings, and audio and
video settings - ANYTHING that is adjusted in Preferences - those settings
are all controlled outside of the viewer.

Try this - whatever viewer you use, Second Life, Hippo and ReXtend, copy the
folder that is in Program Files to a thumb drive and run it from the thumb
drive.  Change a number of the settings in Preferences.  Then exit the
viewer and remove the thumb drive and plug it into a different pc.  ALL
settings are at default when you start up the viewer.  The first obvious one
is that you will find the First Name and Last Name and Password fields are
all blank when they should be pre-filled.  When you do log in you'll find
that everything in Preferences has defaulted right back to the initial
settings as if you installed the viewer for the first time.

I used VMWare's "Thinstall" application to attempt to make the viewer
portable that way, but it would be MUCH simpler to just have the viewer save
all Preference settings to an ini file instead of via system registry.

If you open a command window (click Start, Run, then type in regedit and hit
enter.  Then click Edit then Find and type in "Second Life" and repeatedly
click F3 for "find next" you'll find lots and lots of references in the
registry to Second Life (of whatever viewer you're using).