[Opensim-users] Question out of curiosity Re:Prim Data Formats

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Tue Dec 22 23:41:03 UTC 2009

LaeMing kirjoitti:
> I am curious about the format of prim attribute data, particularly whether it
> is fixed length, or if there is potential to expand the types of prims and/or
> attributes for existing prims. Obviously this would require expanding the

The data as it is in the sludp protocol is declared in the message
template,
http://secondlife.com/app/message_template/master_message_template.msg
(that is not viewer source, i think used in the server as well, reading
that is not in violation of the opensim contributors agreement).

Search for "ObjectUpdate - Sent by objects from the simulator to the
viewer" there to see the data.

It is pretty hardcoded for the SL features and not really extensible, at
the protocol level - in the server code you can do things.

> mesher server-side and the renderer (and edit tools) client-side, but I am
> more interested here in whether the database entries themselves can be
> expanded this way without breaking the defined storage/transmission formats.

At least you can have additional storage where store your own
information about objects, I think many modules that people have written
for their applications do that. I guess that's done both by just having
separate data that is somehow connected to the prims, and also by
subclassing/extending it to have more (like Diva mentioned recently here
that their stuff subclasses SceneObjectPart, right?)

In the realXtend project we've extended the data model in opensim to
have data like meshes and materials, that is implemented in a module
where the data is in a object properties class - see
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/modrex/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2FModularRex%2FRexFramework%2FRexObjectProperties.cs&view=markup

I actually haven't touched the server much 'cause have been so busy with
the new viewer, so was just reading a bit there now. Adam Frisby and
Mikko Pallari know all about that example, and the code seemed to
explain itself pretty nicely as well.

In the networking we've so far used the GenericMessage packet that SLUDP
provides for arbitrary data.

You should also note that Adam is just about to start a major
refactoring in opensim to change exactly this area: how scene objects
are in the code, and how data to them is attached. The goal of the new
model is exactly to allow apps to add any kind of custom data to scene.
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-dev/2009-December/008095.html
is his post about it, and the plan was attached there, "Components and
SceneObject.pdf"
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-dev/attachments/20091211/6e190ca7/attachment-0001.pdf

Cheers,

> Lae