[Opensim-users] Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:51:51 UTC 2009

Jeroen van Veen wrote:
> Would it be an idea to have a general way to add a copyright message to
> scripts/objects, without adding it as a notecard or something? That way it's
> at least clear where the object is supposed to come from. Some sort of a
> metadata thing :-)

If you're saving an entire OAR with a single parcel then you could place
licensing information in the parcel description (or in multiple parcel
descriptions).  I know this is pretty crude.

At the back of my mind, I think it might also be nice to have a tool to inject a
license into an OAR at a known location, though again this doesn't help if one
wants to have different licenses for individual items (though such a thing would
present its own problems anyway).

> kind regards,
>
> Jeroen
>
> Op vrijdag 11 december 2009 04:20:10 schreef Frisby, Adam:
>> There's some long answers to this; but the short answer is very simple: No.
>>
>> It is impossible by definition - obfuscation is the best you can manage;
>>  but at some point the region will need to execute the code - which is the
>>  point where someone will be able to grab & if necessary decompile.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> From: opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de
>>  [mailto:opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Marcus
>>  Alexander Link Sent: Thursday, 10 December 2009 1:29 PM
>> To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
>> Subject: [Opensim-users] Protecting Script Source in .oar files
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> this is my first posting to this list and I would like to introduce myself
>>  with a few words.
>>
>> I am a content creator for Second Life Technology and I have been testing
>>  OpenSimulator for a while now. I joined 'Second Life' 2006 and became a
>>  virtual watches designer by taking free classes in SL. I met my GF in SL
>>  and she moved from Houston/Texas to Germany, where we now live together.
>>  We both are also SL Solution Provider.
>>
>> Friends and I started a Product development Community in SL and one of our
>>  first developments was a multiple Choice Quiz System for SL Technology. I
>>  am convinced of OpenSimulator because of the possibility of .oar and .iar
>>  files which are such an amazing advantage, compared to what, lets say
>>  "closed proprietary grids" offer.
>>
>> To come to an end and the question I would like to have answered:
>>
>> Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a script in a .oar file ?
>>

>> Marcus
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl
>>  developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop
>>  features: http://storebox.manupool.com
>>
>> --
>> The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative
>>  Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative
>>  Application Methods & Environments, which is an encouraging recognition
>>  for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
>>
>> Our Team so far:
>> http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
>>
>> What we have so far:
>> We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc