[Opensim-users] SLoodle in OpenSim: Email module

Tom Willans tom.willans at bessacarr.com
Fri Dec 11 08:17:18 UTC 2009

Adelle,

This is useful advice, and a good reminder to look at security issues
in general. It is my understanding that you can still use an external
ISP if you are doing it via a local SMTP server whose security you can
manage at your end. Presumably it is also less of a risk, provided you
can ensure only trusted individuals have access to your region as may
be the case for private development uses. Any views welcome.

Tom

Can I clarify that if you use your own smtp server and that then uses
an external public ISP you should also be OK. By running
On 10 Dec 2009, at 13:40, Adelle Fitzgerald wrote:

> Please be aware of the risks of enabling e-mail on your region and
> that it could be used for spam purposes. It would be very easy for
> someone to write a simple LSL script to fetch a whole bunch of e-
> mail addresses from an external database/website and then loop
> sending each one a spam message. IMHO, enabling SMTP on a region
> should only be done if you can control the flow of mail at your SMTP
> server, and do not use a public or ISP SMTP server as you have no
> control over it.
>
> My suggestion if you do have access to your own SMTP server is to
> create a rule where the sending domain can only be sent to
> destination domain, and no other. By doing that it will minimise the
> risk of spam messages. The first thing spammers do is see if a relay
> is open before they flood it with spam. If they try and get no
> message through, they will move on to their next target.
> Alternatively, running an SMTP server in a closed environment with
> no external access would be ok.
>
> Adelle.

Tom Willans
Managing Director
Bessacarr Publications Ltd
3 Highfield, Hatton Park, Warwick, CV35 7TQ
tom.willans at bessacarr.com
+44 (0) 1926 402055   +44 (0) 121 288 0281
Registered in England and Wales at the above address.  Company No:
4925067. VAT No:GB 823 9317 24.

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Bessacarr Publications Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient
you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. Please return it to the sender immediately. The
contents of this message may be legally privileged.