[Opensim-users] SLoodle in OpenSim: Email module

Adelle Fitzgerald Adelle at DreamTechnologies.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 13:40:19 UTC 2009

Please be aware of the risks of enabling e-mail on your region and that
it could be used for spam purposes. It would be very easy for someone to
write a simple LSL script to fetch a whole bunch of e-mail addresses
from an external database/website and then loop sending each one a spam
message. IMHO, enabling SMTP on a region should only be done if you can
control the flow of mail at your SMTP server, and do not use a public or
ISP SMTP server as you have no control over it.

My suggestion if you do have access to your own SMTP server is to create
a rule where the sending domain can only be sent to destination domain,
and no other. By doing that it will minimise the risk of spam messages.
The first thing spammers do is see if a relay is open before they flood
it with spam. If they try and get no message through, they will move on
to their next target. Alternatively, running an SMTP server in a closed
environment with no external access would be ok.

Adelle.