[Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 22:34:11 UTC 2009

Yes indeed you touch on a couple of the essential issues! I won't even try to present the alternative and opposing views apart from observing that they exist.

You only have to look at the blogs to come up with a huge volume of discussion, debate and name calling on this subject.

At present my thought is to emulate the Linux software repositories, Ubuntu being the one that I am most familiar with.

Ubuntu has several levels of repository:

"Canonical suported (main)"
"Community maintained" (universe)
"Proprietary drivers" (restricted)
"Software restricted by copyright or legal issues" (multiverse)
"Software that is restricted by geography, free speech restrictions, crypto restrictions etc." (Medibuntu)

Finally for those who want totally unrestricted content there is always PirateBay.com.

In this way the end user may determine what level of restriction or licensing is appropriate for their individual requirements and/or conscience.

It is far from a perfect solution, but it seems about as good as any that I have seen.

Getting back to my original point (rant) though, while the repositories are completely independent, the Ubuntu documentation includes directions for finding and evaluating all of them - except for PirateBay :-)!

My model for the OpenSim content "library" is something similar. Several "levels" of repository with a central index of repositories and descriptions of their content in the OpenSim Wiki.

Only one of the repositories need be actually supported or endorsed by opensimulator.org, but I fell strongly that all legal content should be findable through the wiki.

If that is not done then eventually other distribution channels will certainly spring up with things that none of us want to see distributed. For example the latest copybot - apparently V5.00 10.2.2009 which can be found with little effort on the P2P networks.

Karen