[Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:27:20 UTC 2009

Mic Bowman wrote:
> Just a couple observations on this discussion...
>
> If you want professional content creators to be willing to license high
> quality content for use in opensim grids, you need to gain their trust
> that content will be used appropriately. That can be through well
> documented (and demonstrated) take down procedures. Or through some
> common set of agreements among grid owners about how content will be
> handled. Or...
>
> And... many companies won't touch "free" content unless its provenance
> can be established. I know we require some form of "certificate of
> origin" or a clear license that grants rights to use the content. And
> for content we use internally, we keep those licenses archived.
> Providing a means for a content owner to describe the license for use
> seems like a good thing no matter what. Given that oar and iar files are
> just tar files... could we add an optional "license" file in a well
> known location without messing up the load/save?

Possible though getting messy.  What about the solution of simply putting
LICENSE text cards in objects themselves?  Are the cons too much? (e.g.
duplication of license files, not visible without loading up the iar, etc.).

In principle, one could also simply untar the IAR/OAR, put a license file in and
retar it.

I remember a Linden Labs discussion a while ago about them putting a checkbox or
settings in their client which would indicate whether an object was cross-grid
licensed.  This discussion resurfaced a bit with Second Life Enterprise.  If
this ever occurs it would be trivial to lever the information into IARs (and
maybe there would be a solution for OARs).

> [...]
>     there is some evidence that it is restricted in some way.
>
>     Karen
>
>     --- On Thu, 12/10/09, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au
>     <mailto:adam at deepthink.com.au>> wrote:
>
>      > From: Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au
>     <mailto:adam at deepthink.com.au>>
>      > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)
>      > To: "opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
>     <mailto:opensim-users at lists.berlios.de>"
>     <opensim-users at lists.berlios.de <mailto:opensim-users at lists.berlios.de>>
>      > Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 6:59 AM
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Sorry about this – but
>      > yeah, we need to be fairly careful here
>      > about respecting IP rights; we have the same problem on
>      > OSgrid policing
>      > freebies in the plaza’s – a lot of what people
>      > think is free content isn’t, so
>      > it’s better to assume none of it is authorized unless
>      > explicitly said.
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Adam
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > From: opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de
>     <mailto:opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de>
>      > [mailto:opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de
>     <mailto:opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de>] On
>      > Behalf Of Americo
>      > Damasceno
>      >
>      > Sent: Thursday, 10 December 2009 2:34 AM
>      >
>      > To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
>     <mailto:opensim-users at lists.berlios.de>
>      >
>      > Subject: [Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2
>      > .IAR files)
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > I believe that nobody can know if a
>      > copied (authorized to
>      > be) object from another OpenSim region is or is not

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc