[Opensim-users] Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 21:51:41 UTC 2009

"Any lock built by man can also be broken by man"

In the long term there cannot ever be a technological solution to what is essentially a social, political and economic problem.

The only true protection is a set of laws and procedures that are generally accepted by all concerned.

In the IP arena we are a very long way from any such consensus even though it is arguably one of the most important questions facing our civilization!

The "techie" answer is that an OAR and IAR file reflect the contents of the region and inventory databases. If the script is inaccessible from the source then the OAR and IAR will reflect that.

For a variety of reasons (NOT just IP!) LSL scripting is being replaced by various compiled languages. The result is that the database need only contain "object" code and not source code.

You should be aware though that "dis-assembly" (or even a full source code reconstruction!) is not only feasible, but quite well developed in some areas.

"Object code" raises a barrier against IP theft, but it is certainly not a "fix" for the problem!

Karen