[Opensim-users] OAR File Sharing Revisited

Jeroen van Veen j.veenvan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:49:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think it would be easier to have decentralized oar spaces, which can be
shared through simple http/https servers. OSservices uses twisted to serve
oar-directories, and make them accessible through secured public/private http
urls. I'm not really sure about the final design, but i think each simulator
service has to have it's own private serve directory, in which oar files can be
shared to other gridservices, by utilizing a centralized webapi. Like: call
get_oar(service_uuid) on each osservice instance from a webinterface, which
returns an xml list of oar files. Also, it creates a public http resource that
can be accessed through the browser(with user/pw or not). That may be useful
for simple sharing purposes.

Anyway, the idea is that each simulator/service has it's own oar 'repository',
which can be shared through a ssl/http auth secured api. I agree with Karen
that central places for oars are not really the way to go here. Centralized
lists of public oars can also be done through some sort of api. This same
kinda thing would also be interesting to apply on intergrid maps by the way,
but that's another thread.

cheers,

Jeroen