[Opensim-users] revised terms...

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Wed Nov 26 21:08:03 UTC 2008

Paul,

Your division of logical vs physical space is right on. But I think this
is closer to reality, though:

1 Logical Space
1.1 A region is 65,536 sq. meters and infinite Z space, which provides a
3D space *service*
1.2 A Map (logical grid, matrix) contains one or more regions.
1.3 A collection of *services* glue the regions together. Those services
are:
      grid service, user service, asset service, inventory service, and
others.

2 Physical space
The different *services* mentioned above are implemented by *servers*.
Servers can run one or more of those services.
2.1 In the simplest case, there is only one server running all the
services. This is known as "standalone".
2.2 In another common configuration, one or more servers run the 3D
space service (1 or more regions per server) and independent servers run
the glue services. This common configuration is known as "grid".