[Opensim-users] standalone vs. grid

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:37:11 UTC 2008

 What do you think of the following. Let me know if my
assumptions are incorrect:

 1. Logical Space is defined as following:

    1.1 A Grid contains one or more Estates in a Cartesian space
           (Grid coordinates define Regions (i.e., Sims)
    1.2 An Estate contains one or more Regions (i.e., Sims)
    1.3 A Region contains one or more Parcels

 2. Physical space is defined by Mode

     2.1 StandAlone Mode is one computer, running one instance
          of Opensim.exe
     2.2 Grid Mode is one or more computers in the following configurations:
           2.2.1  Client Config: A region connected to a grid (i.e., OSGrid)
                         In Config 1, the client runs its own
opensim.exe, and
                         its own database to handle that region's activities
           2.2.2  Server Config: UGAIM server machine(s) that maintain
client
                         Regions (note: Client and Server could be the
same machine)
           2.2.3  Hypergrid Config (evolving): freeform hyperlinked
model, more
                         like how the web functions than a client/server
model.

Thoughts welcome. BTW, in Space #2. Server Config, does OSGrid
run its own Opensim.exe or is that needed only by the Region simulators
that connect to it?

-p