[Opensim-users] regions

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 25 22:11:55 UTC 2008

There are two key issues that my colleagues surface when talking of
Second Life. One is the poor geometry support (lack of meshes
and other common CAD formats), and the other is a primitive
programming language. OpenSim seems to be a solution to
both of these. For programming, there is C#/Mono. For
geometry, a convincing demo would be one that involves,
as you say, other types, especially meshes that might be created
in Blender, Max, Maya, etc.

There is also the issue of a lack of a hierarchical scene graph (i.e.,
linear linksets in SL), but I am not sure whether OpenSim has
moved beyond this or not? Anyway, it seems to be moving
in the right direction!

-p