[Opensim-users] fixed terrain..question on updating

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 11 17:52:08 UTC 2008

I restarted all of the servers, and for some reason, that cleared up
the terrain problem.

On the issue of OpenSim updating procedure, I am curious as to the
appropriate method. What I have been doing so far is:

 1) For backup, copy the current opensim directory (the one that works)
 2) Rename the Copy as the one to use for the update
 3) Download the latest binary
 4) Copy the bin of #3 over the bin of #2
 5) Launch servers in the order UGAIM + OpenSim

This seems to work but I wanted to know if it is effective. Also, when
trying
these steps by building from source instead of downloading the
binary (step 3), something wasn't working correctly and the SQL database
was not
correctly accessed when the UserServer is launched. So, when doing this
from source,
perhaps another method is appropriate.

For clarification, when I build from source, I use TortoiseSVN and download
using: http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk to a new directory. I
then <http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk>
click on runprebuild20082008.bat and then on the C# "OpenSim" file which
launches Visual C# Express. Then, I right click on OpenSim and Build.

-p

Paul Fishwick wrote:
> Something else odd - I cannot seem to use terrain commands
> when in a region other that the default. For example, I'll do:
>
> change-region Chester
> ...Currently selected region is Chester
>
> and then:
>
> terrain help yields ===Terrain===   with no help commands listed
>
> terrain fill 22 yields No such command exists
>
> These commands (including the help) work only when I am in
> my default region. When I am in the root region, the command,
> similarly, works only for the default region, with 3 errors produced
> for the remaining 3 regions in the grid:
>
> Invalid command - No such command exists
>
> I think this is at the root (no pun intended) of the earlier problem.
> I'll report to Mantis if this is a bug?
>
> -p
>

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
>
>> Rhian
>> I did this as well. I export as RAW using the 32 bit floating point
>> option. Then I get a file:  terrain.raw. I then move this to
>> terrain.r32 using a DOS window. I'll send you the file in
>> another email.
>> -paul
>>

>> Rhian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> I have done the same sort of thing recently, but the only thing that I
>>> have done differently is exporting as .RAW (32-bit floating point),
>>> then changing to .r32 from the commandline.
>>> My map is actually a 3 x 1 region, not 2 x 2, but the principle is
>>> the same.
>>> (See OSGrid: BubbleBay-1, 2 and 3)
>>>
>>> If you want I can take a look at yours.
>>>
>>> Rhian

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu