[Opensim-users] Sailing in Opensim

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 02:50:06 UTC 2008

Yes, Adam, typically on the linden grid this is done with vehicle functions
in LSL. One thing that occurred to me is that this might actually be much
easier to accomplish on osgrid using mono. It might also help lay some
groundwork for a way forward to implementing more SL-like vehicle funtions
down the road.

I have spoken with one of SL's finer sailboat makers in-world, one MothGirl
Dibou (I hope I have her name right). She has recently done some
sailing-related work in SL in mono (a windsetter, as it's called, that
produces competition wind, and I encouraged us to get in the pit and show
some love wrt sailing specifically, and vehicle physics in general, but have
not heard from her for a few days; the community has been rather busy
protesting and negotiating concerning the Open Spaces price hikes.

I'd be willing to carry whatever load here I can, count me in for some light
coding testing, what have you. As usual, my regions are available for
prototying/testing/debugging/repros.

Cheers!
James

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au> wrote:

> This probably relies on vehicle physics - I've had some interest in
> implementing this myself recently, although I'm not 100% sure I have the
> time. If you guys have programmers, maybe I can give some direction on
> what's needed in order to write a sailing boat module.
>
> In theory it's not too complex (maybe a little, but it's self contained at
> least).
>
> Adam

The wind
scours the earth for prayers