[Opensim-users] MySQL problems

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sat Nov 1 19:06:48 UTC 2008

Butch
 Thanks - I'll remove the mysql_connection.ini that I was working with.
In opensim.ini (which I have included verbatim below), I set MySQL
to replace SQLite. Do you see anything amiss with this .ini file? I ask
this because when I try to run OpenSim.Grid.UserServer.exe, I get
a crash with the error message:

"Using obsoletely mysql_connection.ini, try using user_source connect
string instead"

Here is my OpenSim.ini (with the password masked out)

> [Startup]
> gridmode = True
> physics = OpenDynamicsEngine
> meshing = ZeroMesher
> physical_prim = True
> see_into_this_sim_from_neighbor = True
> serverside_object_permissions = False
> storage_plugin = OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
> storage_connection_string = URI=file:OpenSimdb.db,version=3
> storage_prim_inventories = True
> startup_console_commands_file =
> shutdown_console_commands_file =
> DefaultScriptEngine = ScriptEngine.DotNetEngine
> asset_database = mysql
> clientstack_plugin = OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.dll
> [StandAlone]
> accounts_authenticate = False
> welcome_message = Welcome to Metaphorz
> inventory_plugin = OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
> inventory_source =
> userDatabase_plugin = OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
> user_source =
> asset_plugin = OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
> asset_source =
> dump_assets_to_file = False
> [Network]
> default_location_x = 1000
> default_location_y = 1000
> http_listener_port = 9000
> remoting_listener_port = 8895
> grid_server_url = http://127.0.0.1:8001
> grid_send_key = null
> grid_recv_key = null
> user_server_url = http://127.0.0.1:8002
> user_send_key = null
> user_recv_key = null
> asset_server_url = http://127.0.0.1:8003
> inventory_server_url = http://127.0.0.1:8004
> secure_inventory_server = true

-paul

Butch Arnold wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> You no longer need to use the mysql_connection.ini file.
> The opensim.ini file contains areas for you to define your connection
> string for mysql and the UGAIM servers also have their own mysql config
> strings.
> To learn more about the mysql syntax for adding a user... here's a few
> examples.....
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/adding-users.html
>
> -Butch
>

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
>
>> Matt asked about how I set up MySQL and the version.
>> I seem to be using: 5.0.67-community-nt according to my
>> implementation using the Administrator log in via Windows
>> XP.
>>
>> As to the instructions on:
>>
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Mysql-config
>>
>> They are confusing because of the caveats, warnings, and "notes"
>> in boldface.
>>
>> Can someone confirm what exactly is required to create the appropriate
>> MySQL database?  There are some steps at the top of the web page
>> I  just referenced:
>>
>> 1. Create a database for OpenSim to user.
>>
>>     how? Is "mysql -u root -p" and then "create database opensim"
>> sufficient?
>>
>> 2. Import the table structure (which according to the boldface comment, is
>>     no longer required).
>>
>> 3. Edit bin/mysql_connection.ini.   There is no file by that name, but
>> there is one
>>     called bin/mssql_connectionexample.ini. Should I rename that one?
>>     The instructions say "put in connection information". What does this
>> mean?
>>
>> 4. Edit bin/Opensim.ini and setup the mysql-connector. The example is a dump
>>     of the file, but what exactly needs to change or be added to "set up the
>>     mysql-connector" ?
>>
>> 5. I tried the GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES command and it was bad syntax,
>>     apparently. Is this a necessary command?
>>
>> Sorry for all of the questions - I am just finding this web page to be
>> confusing.

>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu