[Opensim-users] Consequences of vicinity

Frank W Sweet fwsweet at backintyme.com
Tue Dec 30 00:49:32 UTC 2008

The present HG "link-region" console command is, of necessity, a
temporary expedient. In a few years, there may well be tens of
thousands of independent stand-alone sims out there (mostly roleplay,
formal education, or corporate training). Users will need to TP among
them as easily as they link between web pages today. The appropriate
analogy for HG-TP is the html link.

Today's HG "link-region" console command demands sim owner involvment.
This is as infeasible as asking a website owner to let you link out of
her website. Instead, HG-TP must be made dynamic. The destination
region must be notified to prepare only when the use actually clicks
on TP-out, and the actual TP initiated only after that first step.

Users will never fly (or walk or drive) from one standalone region (or
one grid) to another. Hence, there is no need to notify every
conceivable destination sim (no matter how near or far grid-wise) that
user-A has logged on somewhere. Instead, only the immediate target
region of an initiated HG-TP should be notified, and that notification
should then be immediately followed by the incoming user.

That way, only those users actually present at the UCI Welcome region,
plus those inbound in transit, will spawn child agents in the region
(rather than spawnng child agents for every user in every linked sim).
True, even these agents may still overload the region if it is
extremely popular. But that is a problem that we already know how
handle.

Frank W. Sweet
Backintyme Publishing