[Opensim-users] they way the project works and to support it....

Charles Krinke cfk at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 23 01:23:32 UTC 2008

I'm going to jump in a tiny bit as I sense frustration from a few folks.

We are trying to provide volunteer support via #opensim, #osgrid & osgrid.org/forums. All who are doing this are volunteers and try mightily to watch out for the interests of the developers whose time we value highly.

Each person that does show up on IRC is helped and *then* is asked to help at least two others or to add at least one paragraph to the wiki. This technique has worked well for us for almost two years now and we encourage additional folks to help us.

Feature requests happen in a couple of ways. One good technique is to chat up the idea and get one of the core developers to back and perhaps mentor the idea. That way a patch might flow more smoothly.

Another technique is to create a project on the forge (forge.opensimulator.org) for a module. Get some folks to test that module and if is truly a good idea, the community will then advocate to get it into core if appropriate.

Personally, I encourage patches and try to keep on top of patches submitted to Mantis and apply if they are simple and dont touch critical parts of the logic. Anything that is complex, I mention to the other core developers and we discuss it, usually on the opensim-dev e-mail list.

Folks are encourage to add regions to OSGrid as they wish to help in the testing and community building of OpenSim. There is no charge adn there are lots of folks to help with setup and lots to learn.

Charles