[Opensim-users] they way the project works and to support

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Mon Dec 22 23:16:30 UTC 2008

Ralf Haifisch wrote:
> Shouldn�t be the "feature" tag be removed in mantis ?
> It was at least misleading to me.  And - believe me - I did read quite a lot
> over month.
> But I hardly find the pages I already did had read.  So stuff like your
> steps above are at least not easy to find.
> Maybe just avoid the "feature" to not get people dropping in feature
> requests..

Very good point!

Maybe it should be renamed to "new patch" instead of "feature request" =)

However, there is a bit of politics not seen for the ability to move
objects from in-world to another application or another virtual world.
There are those that won't openly admit it that such feature to exchange
objects for collaboration is against their business model. It's a
political issue for them keep all the eggs in their nest, even if it is
someone else's eggs, as they profit when that "somone else" pays for
their nest.

People spent a lot of their own volunteer time (even paid time) to
create original work (eggs). When you find out you can't get your eggs
out of their nest, well... that's the way it has been.

So, I don't think it'll be renamed from "feature request" into "new
patch," because new feature requests are a good source of new ideas.
However, Collada (or object importers/exporters) aren't a new idea, but
it's the idea itself that gets steamrolled by those that profit more
when less (or limited) external collaboration tools exists.

Enjoy