[Opensim-users] Collada

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Dec 22 23:26:04 UTC 2008

Dzonatas kirjoitti:
> Most likely such data will go into the <extra> tags until they can be
> "refined" and fit into the schema that exists.

Fair enough.

> Here is an ideology, for example:
> * Start Rex
> * Select a few objects to export
> * Rex saves objects into its own custom XML file (as you described)

Actually that description was for OpenSim in general, and specifically
for SL like data i.e. prims. I figure for the Rex extension it will
first just point to the Ogre mesh file (for which there is also an XML
serialization btw, but that's beside the point).

> * Process those XML files with the collada processor
> * collada processor compiles data from the XML files and even interacts
> with opensim/viewer to compile/refine needed information
> * collada processor outputs a DAE file

interesting, for example that part on the processor interacting with
e.g. opensim code perhaps. indeed opensim aims at being an api so might
fit nicely that it could serve other data handlers too, to provide
object data etc.

but this DAE file..

> Further:
> * Load DAE file into Blender
> * Modify objects
> * Save changes

Is this supposing a custom OpenSim/SL version of the format used for the
DAE, or did the processor already convert the parametric models
('prims') to something that the existing importer & exporter would
support? I guess not, and that you are assuming custom support for e.g.
the Blender tools. Which would be perfectly ok of course, support for
this can't come from out of nowhere anyway, the effort must be done
somewhere.
> found on the collada website (i.e. Sony's Refinery). The given processor
> would need to be extended to support and resolve objects with opensim.
> The concern from the mantis issue is that the processor extensions would
> need to be developed

Sure. But like said in any case some custom XML code is needed for
OpenSim in any case. Now has been written as fit for the project, but
sounds like it might be worth considering if it could somehow fit in the
larger Collada (or some other) frame.

~Toni