[Opensim-users] Collada

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Dec 22 16:43:24 UTC 2008

Dzonatas kirjoitti:
> We aren't talking here about replacing the the network protocol that now
> exists in the the sims with Verse.

oh and we are not using Verse for anything either, just mentioned that
it is not similar (as it was discussed recently for other reasons).

>> can be used at all though: does it support prims? In games there usually
>> are just meshes. Well the spec does seem to support splines nicely, so
>>
> All that can be placed in the collada file, which is XML. What matters
> is that the DOM interface recognizes the data. The collada teams has
> sorted out popular formats into the format, and we can add more data
> types, like group information and permissions. You aren't limited by
> what the collada team has only sorted. Yes, it can all be put into the
> collada file.

sure, but earlier i did not think that Collada would have other
benefits, than the format and the existing tools that support. it. being
able to add stuff to the files doesn't help, if your tools wouldn't
understand it. and for a tool, like opensim, that does not support it
yet, it wouldn't be different for using an own custom format.

but indeed the idea of somehow adding the SL specific things in Collada
files may be interesting if there are some other parts of the spec that
are compatible to start with (dunno how the creator etc. things are
there, for one, and other metadata for example). and of course for
systems that support meshes too, like Rex.

> Collada is designed to be an intermediate language. What CIL in
> .NET/Mono is to various languages, like C/C++/C#/J/Java/etc, is
> analogous to what Collada in 3D graphics is to various 3D applications,

i'm not exactly sure yet how the technical details will go, but
certainly it does not hurt to see how things are there (and why not e.g.
x3d too..)

~Toni