[Opensim-users] realxtend integration

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:39:35 UTC 2008

Let me try to clear up what I am able to.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Jeroen van Veen <j.veenvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been watching the news about RealXtend integration a bit. Not sure if i
> understand things right though:
> realxtend viewer = superior to any other viewer out there, based on the most
> mature 3d-engine(Ogre), but build on LindenLabs code(gpl), bsd license
> preferred

The legacy reX viewer is based on a fork of LL code, and uses Ogre for
rendering. "Superior" is in the eyes of the beholder.

> other viewers =bsd-licensed, but not even close to the current state of
> lindenlabs viewer. C# is a pain in the a## when it comes to integration with
> existing components like 3d-engines, so c++ viewer preferred?
>
> Problem: libomv is c#, not c++. Solution? If any?
> Realxtend rumour: viewer will be bsd-licensed at some point. c++ port for
> libomv? or? Licensing issues with lindens?

The legacy viewer will never be BSD, as most of the copyright is to
LL. We will start from scratch reusing *none* of LL code, and will
have an explicit policy of *never* using the LL source code as even a
reference, as the law frowns on this without extra staff for
clean-room reverse engineering, which we cannot afford.

That is not as much of a problem as might be assumed since reX and
OpenSim server compatibility is our primary focus, and we are able to
use those as a reference with no concern.

> Realxtend module for opensim: Great, no more fork, no more double work,
> faster development, cooperation, world peace

That is the intent, but we'll need help from everyone in OpenSim
community to achieve it. Kumbaya.

> Phrearch

Cheers,