[Opensim-users] [Fwd: [REX] Re: Private and Public Assets]

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:49:34 UTC 2008

I am forwarding this thread to this group since it relates to opensim
rather than only the client viewer. You may wish to look at Heikki's
post first (at the end of this mail).
-p

        I have been thinking of this as well. It would be ideal to have
        a way
        to have two types of
        assets:

         (1) Public assets -- downloaded in real-time when the client
        viewer launches
             (this is the default), and
         (2) Private assets -- must be pre-downloaded prior to client
        launch.
        They are shared
             by virtue of individual downloads (like most games).

        Perhaps the type of asset could be specified by a land parcel
        setting?
        A land parcel
        set to "private" would not download any assets at viewer launch.
        Instead, it is expected
        that anyone wanting to "play" on that parcel has preloaded the
        necessary assets. Perhaps
        there would be a more efficient way to do this? I am cc'ing the
        opensim users list since
        this is relevant, more generally, to how assets are handled.

        This duality would give maximum flexibiility to land owners as
        to how
        they want to
        design their spaces.

        On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Heikki Törmälä
        <heikki.tormala at ludocraft.com
        <mailto:heikki.tormala at ludocraft.com>> wrote:

         >> I couldn't help but post that I am completely in awe of your
        efforts
         >> with RealXtend. I had not expected it to progress the way it
        has when
         >> I first started to explore it several months ago.
         >>
         >> I have a question regarding one of the new features:
         >> "- Asset and avatar asset preloading triggerable from
        server" - Does
         >> this mean that the content will load into the client before
        the user
         >> arrives in the world? Also, are you thinking about or is it
        at all
         >> feasible to create the option to offer the in-world content
        (most
         >> importantly image assets, other things are usually small anyway)
         >> included in the world's viewer download?
         > Not as such. It is mostly meant for loading assets that may
        not be
         > immediately needed right after entering a world, but which
        are still
         > important in some way, or generally to provide a way to load
        an asset to
         > the client before it is needed in the world.
         >
         > For example in our Beneath The Waves demo world it is possibly to
         > transform into a fish, iirc the assets needed by the fishes
        are preloaded
         > so the transition is smoother.
         >
         > It is also mostly usable for loading some assets while the
        client is still
        at the moment.

         > We are definitely thinking about a way to include some assets
        with the
         > viewer without the need to download them from the server, or
        possibility
         > to offer the assets of a world as a separate download from
        the web that
         > the user can download before entering a world for example.
        This is not

this list: http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend
realXtend home page: http://www.realxtend.org/

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120