[Opensim-users] bad prim, bad!

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:36:41 UTC 2008

Steve Salter wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Brand new OpenSim user here, please excuse my vast ignorance! :) I'm
> not very conversant with SecondLife either so that doubles my lack of
> knowledge.
No problem - all I personally ask for is intelligent conversation :-)

> I managed to create and load a terrain, create a new body and clothes,
> and so on. Whee! I can FLY. :)
>
> This morning I tried adding a primitive, a cube. OpenSim crashed. When
> I try to start it again this is what I get.

> 08:46:51 - [PARCEL]: Found master avatar
> [d798683c-fe5d-42ed-b6a3-8229cfb7405f]
> 08:46:51 - [SCENE]: Loading objects from datastore
> 08:46:51 - [DATASTORE]: Loaded 1 prims for region:
> 0a915de4-96b2-4229-9758-f66a9
> 1ad051c
> [APPLICATION]:
> APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs
>
> Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to
> an instanc
> e of an object.
>    at
> OpenSim.Region.Environment.Scenes.SceneObjectPart.ApplyPhysics(UInt32 root
> ObjectFlags, Boolean m_physicalPrim)
>    at
> OpenSim.Region.Environment.Scenes.SceneObjectGroup.ApplyPhysics(Boolean m_
> physicalPrim)
>    at
> OpenSim.Region.Environment.Scenes.Scene.LoadPrimsFromStorage(Boolean m_per
> missions, LLUUID regionID)
>    at
> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.RegionApplicationBase.SetupScene(RegionInfo reg
> ionInfo, Int32 proxyOffset, UDPServer& udpServer, Boolean m_permissions)
>    at OpenSim.OpenSimMain.CreateRegion(RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean
> portadd_fl
> ag)
>    at
> OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.LoadRegions.LoadRegionsPlugin.Initialise(OpenSi
> mMain openSim)
>    at OpenSim.OpenSimMain.StartUp()
>    at OpenSim.Application.Main(String[] args)
>
> Application is terminating: True
>
> How do I fix this? Is there a sqllite "db" file I can edit to remove
> the prim, if it was inserted improperly into a table?  Do I need to
> rebuild from the SVN and start over?

Does sound like some kind of corruption.  The short term solution is to
simply delete the OpenSim.db table which is where OpenSim stores all its
region data.  OpenSim will automatically recreate it on startup.

If it happens again, please could you capture the original exception
when you tried to store the prim and Mantis
(http://opensimulator.org/mantis) it?  This will help us track down what
the issue is.
> By the way, is this the proper list to address such questions to?  I
> generally try to resolve things myself until I run totally out of
> options and ideas.
I think this list is fine, though for failure cases such as this you
might want to go to opensim-dev (or alternatively, post a bug on Mantis).

--
justincc