[Opensim-dev] checkout these commits ...

Michel Beauregard gimisa at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 25 20:56:02 UTC 2023

Roy

Unless I miss understand these commits... There is no reason to void the existing  currency interface provided by  opensimulator because opensim here is only providing a user interface.

Please note for clarity , globit or Podex  are service that is added to the grid by grid owner.  its an add-on to  opensim feature. Opensim only provides the  interface allowing the transaction between its visitors local or Hypergrid and the currency provider.

I have added a currency service to my grid for testing purpose . Its a separete service with its own database set . I have been running my own local currency with  token money  to collect data using opensim interface for a number of years. When a visitor comes to my land he receive 1000G$ credit that can be attributed  to stuff I made available in my store.   I do this to collect data. This money is only token and help me experiement with opensim money interface with visitors.  Even if those visitors are Globit or Podex client their money cant be use in my grid and their account credit value is not reflected in the opensim user interface when rezzing in my regions. The pay action only substract token form the credit I made available to then and populate my database with statistics.
ref: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/User:Gimisa#MONEY
It possible for grid owner to provide its own currency like OR  open his grid to allow use of currency from external providers . The two main providers of currency service present in opensim are Globit and Podex .

Please note Globit policy state as follow:"Will you buy back my gloebits if I don’t use them?  No."ref:https://gloebit.com/faq/?u=0&r=

Basically for globit users it a one way trust. Once purchase these token have value only in  opensim grid giving access to Globit user accounts.

Podex is a bit more like SL which allow Users  to redeem their  money if  opting out at an exchange value they consider at time of exchange. .
ref : https://www.podex.info/p/info-for-grid-owners.html
Contrary to SL which provide the currency service,  in opensim case,  grid owner is only connecting the service between either Podex or Globit users depending on the service  he decides to implement. Their can be only one service per grid as its a server service like grid registration and not a simulator service like object rezzing . The user of currency service  must register with Podex or Globit.  They are customers of these business not the grid owner. The grid owner does not receive any compensation to provide access to these business services. This is  clear in the binding relation with these business  when users register with them . And it should be clear to sellers too as to the implecation of conducting a business using internet in general be the web or opensim.

Please note :
Outworld grid installer provides Globit by default .
ref: https://www.outworldz.com/Outworldz_installer/
Hope its help

GiMiSa