[Opensim-dev] checkout these commits ...

Rory Slegtenhorst rory.slegtenhorst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 18:59:09 UTC 2023

Hi,

I rarely post here, but this question and the PR did peek my attention.
I'm a SL player since 2007 and still play from time to time. I have been
running my private 9 node grid for over a decade.

You can take below as-is, or ignore entirely.

Let's start with that I must congratulate the creation of a real world
money module.
>From a quick glance, the Gloebit code looks well thought out and has all
the comments in the right places it seems.
I am certain it could possibly benefit grid owners who really want this.

That said, from http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Money:

The OpenSimulator project does not consider providing any kind of
functioning monetary system within its scope. Doing so is entirely up to
the service provider, as that provider has to be the source of the trust
associated with monetary transactions.

The OpenSimulator platform will provide whatever protocol hooks necessary
to implement a monetary system, and reference implementations for
demonstration purposes, but not actual implementations of functioning
monetary systems. It is essential to understand this when discussing what
OpenSimulator can do with respect to monetary systems.

I believe that the starting paragraph outlines exactly why not to merge any
of this into the OpenSimulator codebase.

It occurred to me that there's this entire new market around OpenSimulator
HyperGrid micro-transactions.
Clearly Gloebit and Podex are the two largest players in that scene right
now, fighting for market share.
It had to happen at some point, but I personally and honestly do not
believe HyperGrid is truly ready for that.

In any case, I vote *nay*. Not that it matters, as I have no voting rights
on PR requests anyways.

With utmost regards,
Rory Slegtenhorst
rory dot slegtenhorst at gmail dot com