[Opensim-dev] Packet Pooling - Should it work?

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at utopiaskye.com
Tue Aug 13 15:04:02 UTC 2019

I've been investigating UDP stalls for a while now and at least in some
cases I'm fairly convinced some cases occur due to GC pauses.  There is
some packet pooling code in the underlying LibOMV probably originally
derived from work done on Halcyon to address this case.   I don't see any
attempt in the UDP comms to make use of these buffer pools.

There is seperate code in PacketPool.cs to,  I think reuse packet buffers
based on a couple of buffer sizes and it looks like this should be on by
default but I can't find any evidence by looking at status of any packet
reuse occuring.  That is it looks like there is code there but it's either
switched off somewhere else or just doesn't work (or the stats are wrong :).

Should this PacketPooling be functional?  Alternatively has any attempt
been made to wire in the PacketBuffer support thats already in LibOMV?
 I'm going to dig through all this as I have time but I figured a little
information might help short circuit some paths and direct my search.

Thanks!

Mike