[Opensim-dev] Question: would it be possible to add Havok to opensimulator..??

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Tue Dec 19 19:33:13 UTC 2017

On December 19, 2017 at 9:19:57 AM, Haravikk (opensim at haravikk.me) wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2017, at 14:31, André Verwijs <dutch.glory at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> i don't think Firestorm viewer devs are paying that.
> or made a deal with SL ..

Firestorm doesn't have to, because they're not the ones running havok; physics
for SL and OpenSim are both handled by the simulator, so they're server
side only. All the viewer has to do is show you what happens.

Mostly true. Firestorm doesn’t use the physics engine itself, but it does
include the Havok convex decomposition module. This is the entire reason
there are two different versions of Firestorm. Havok only licenses their
product *per game*. So more than likely, each and every grid who wanted to
use Havok would need to purchase a $65,000+ license to use it.

I don't think havok is an option unless they ever start offering a free
license for non-profit uses; but as far as I'm aware it doesn't support
OpenCL anyway, so Bullet is actually a better option anyway if you can
throw some OpenCL capable hardware at it.

Havok does support OpenCL as well as DirectX Compute and is lightyears
ahead of Bullet, but it isn’t free. I’m surprised how quickly everyone
forgot that MOSES opensourced their PhysX implementation. It needed some
work, sure, but it’s basically been abandoned.