[Opensim-dev] PhysX Release Annoucement

Sean M mondesire.sean at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:19:34 UTC 2016

Greetings:

The MOSES Team has completed integrating the Nvidia’s PhysX 3.33 physics
engine into OpenSim. The source-code and documentation will soon be made
available on our public GitHub repository.

Those who adopt the released code will have a new physics engine option for
their regions, in addition to ODE and BulletSim.

The new PhysX capability provides cross-platform, optimized code that
supports real-time, multi-threaded physics calculations. From repeated
stress-testing, PhysX has supported more than 83% additional physical
objects and nearly half frame time (44%) than Bullet*.

We have also included the ability to run physics in "distributed mode".
Distributed physics allows for the physics engine to be executed on a
completely separate server from the rest of the OpenSim application. Under
the right hardware and networking conditions, distributed mode can increase
the maximum number of users and objects in a region.

Soon we will share our completed work with the rest of the community. Once
available, please feel free to interact with the new engine, analyze the
source-code, pull from our repository, and share advancements.

Best regards,
Sean Mondesire
MOSES Team

[*] Single-threaded PhysX averaged 3,300 physical objects when the SimFPS
first dropped below 9 frames per second (FPS) after 30 independent runs.
Same-thread BulletSim supported 1,800 physical objects at the same FPS. No
frame rate correction factor was used during testing. Although SimFPS
remained 11.33 when BulletSim ran on a separate thread, this physics mode
supported 600 fewer physical objects than BulletSim-on-the-same-thread
before the simulator’s performance began to noticeably degrade. It was
concluded that separate-threaded BulletSim was the least stable mode of the
Bullet/PhysX physics engines, produced the highest frame times for equal
loads, and is not recommended as a physics configuration for regions with
more than 1,000 physical Active Prims.