[Opensim-dev] Current Status of OpenSim Git Master

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 19:28:28 UTC 2015

We are in a bit of a mess still with the Viewgit download file naming
and its likely to cause confusion in issue reporting. The current dev
master is still reporting  version: OpenSim 0.8.3.0 Dev. Until the
time that the code changes to actually be 0.9.0.0 can we change the
ViewGit download file name to

      opensim-0.8.3.0-dev-<seq>-<short-commit-code>.zip and .tar

Note the 4 part version number of course or this again will cause
problems later, and a dev with the permissions needs to change this
code when the actual version is changed in the repository dev master
version. As others have said the bug code change in the current dev
master maybe means its worth changing the version now to 0.9.0.0 and
hence making the ViewGit download file name format be

      opensim-0.9.0.0-dev-<seq>-<short-commit-code>.zip and .tar

Unless there is a reason to add in the extra "g" in the front of the
short commit code can we get rid of that? I know "g" cannot be in the
hexadecimal commit codes so can be ignored.. but its just confusing
and was not in the previous download file naming before the avination
merge. Melanie is this something you can do as you made the change to
the current file name format?

I have watched the comments to Tom on Mantis and here on the dev
mailing list, and surely we all want to support Tom in tracking down
and correcting the warnings (we now have 56 versus the 4 before the
merge).  Warnings are not good and are best removed by the original
code contributor when they are first introduced, as they bets
understand their own intentions.  But I appreciate the large code
merge and work by Ubit and others to smooth in the changes mean their
priorities are with other issues rather than removing warnings.  But
it makes sense as Garmin and others have said not to make big comment
deletions where those might be helpful to devs in future.  Just
sticking with correcting the cause of the warning would be helpful at
this stage.