[Opensim-dev] Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Nov 12 23:04:33 UTC 2015

I have not been following this, but want to clarify a few things.

All code donated to this project is subject to change, improvements, and
natural evolution, as features progress.

Usually, things progresses in the directionof generalization, i.e. to
allow more things to happen. The reason why this may have felt like
going backwards may be because the original contribution did not
preserve the generalization principle, i.e. it simply changed the
reported FPS without giving people the choice to continue to operate in
the old way. That was bound to have to be fixed as soon as some core
developer who cares about the lag meter (not me!) bumped into it.

(We like choices in this project. And backwards compatibility. Both are
ways of making our individual lives harder for the sake of making the
collective lives easier.)

Sometimes, things progress in the direction of elimination. For example,
XAssets and mega-regions are currently on the chopping block, because
they have been subsumed by better alternatives.

The diva distro is exactly opensim plus a few plugins, with existing
configuration variables set to specific values. So much so, that the
source of the diva distro project doesn't even include opensim, just the
plugins:
https://github.com/diva/diva-distribution
All my derivatives of opensim are plugins.

Cheers,
Diva