[Opensim-dev] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

dz dz at bitzend.net
Thu Nov 12 18:35:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Michael Emory Cerquoni <
nebadon2025 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also like to remind everyone that MOSES does not run stock
> OpenSimulator code, they use the back end Simiangrid and are making
> decisions about core code based on this, I have done extensive testing and
> even helped try to make the MOSES grid run better, took part in their FCVW
> Conference, I and the entire build team experienced issues on this grid
> that I could not recreate on any other grid.  I personally do not want
> decisions being made that will effect core services by a team of developers
> who are not even using these services but what do I know according to doug
> I of all people should not be part of this conversation anymore.  This is
> the last thing I have to say about this, I am done talking about MOSES and
> their needs.

I sure  hope  all of the non-core developers following this discussion
realize..

A.  This has  NOTHING to do with the  MOSES patches  that were rejected (
except for the  attitude from the  core respondents).
The  crux of this discussion is about a backroom decision to revert a patch
 that WAS accepted.   The history of the submission and acceptance of that
patch has been documented extensively.

B. The  MOSES development team was NOT the only party pushing this change.
  NUMEROUS members of the core team and the developer community who make
the effort to participate in this forum overwhelming agreed  that the patch
was a step forward.

C. Every request for inclusion into the discussion for  WHY it is more
important that obsolete viewer features  that NEVER correctly reported how
 the MADE UP 55 FPS figure related to actual performance have been ignored
in favor of responding  "  Someone  complained to a member of core".   The
  last word  from Melanie on that topic  was  basically " ...maybe  if some
of the  (capital B) budget  was  put in our pockets,  things could have
 gone differently..." (paraphrased).

D. The  fact that MOSES  uses a modified version of the OpenSim Framework
 has  NOTHING to to with the issue.  In case you are wondering...  the
 DIVA distribution  relies  on a completely reworked initialization system
...  The Avination merge that is going on now  reflects  almost 3 YEARS of
 modifications/deviations  from OpenSim core, and SimianGrid  is the result
of  YEARS of performance testing and modification of the group from Intel (
some of  who are now  members of core).

E. The improvements that have resulted from the continuing efforts of the
MOSES  team  have  been  practical, and the comments that assert otherwise
 are  extremely misleading   While they may not be reflected in  commits
 attributable to any of the MOSES developers..  they have included  getting
the core team to  upgrade the  documentation related  to the  proper
 procedures  to submit patches, ( including a blog post by diva ) and a
 COMPLETE re-design of the internal physics engine  interface supporting
 future efforts at performance  enhancements.   Shame on YOU neb   for
insinuating  NOTHING has come from it.

F. The  continued success of  OpenSim  depends on people who are  willing
and able to help being  given  assistance and  guidance  from the existing
 community.  The mandate for this project is to provide a working framework
so everyone  can do what they  want/need.  The licenses were selected to
insure that is true..  The  community forums  and open meetings  are
designed to insure that continues.    Purporting to support those ideas,
and then publicly denigrating  community members  who speak up to protect
other members of the community is THE MOST COUNTERPRODUCTIVE behavior  and
really  shouldn't be tolerated from anyone  whose mandate is to move the
project  forward.  I will publicly admit my respect for the efforts of ALL
members of the core team. That  does  NOT excuse  the behavior they have
exhibited in the past week.

G. I don't expect to "get my way" by  whining at the  developers.    Over
the years  I have put my money AND my time  into making  OpenSim work.
Maybe  Melanie  doesn't remember the  regions on the old IBM grid  that
Fashion Research Institute hosted on her servers.  Maybe  she  just forgot
 the follow up  consulting gig   to connect our servers  to Science Sim
when the IBM grid  died.    I know  I spent a considerable portion of 2
years of our budget supporting  Justins'  efforts  to start a business.   I
also devoted  considerable time and effort as a member of the  Intel
Science Sim senate to design, build.  and  organize some of the earliest
 public  conferences.  Back in those days  Nebadon  was perfectly happy  to
be included in a grid that used a  SimianGrid  front end... Please  don't
insult me  by acting  like  I am  just another  ignorant  user  who just
wants to complain..

There is  a LOT of hard work remaining  to make OpenSim a success...  WE
NEED everyone  included.  We need a core team  that can step up and
identify the most important technical tasks to be addressed.  We need them
to respect the efforts of the minor contributors and  stop making
 arbitrary decisions  on when the community voices  can be  ignored.  We
 need  more volunteers to do technical and non-technical  work.   It is
extremely discouraging to see 2 significant members of that core team  arm
waving,  spreading misleading information,  and ignoring a vocal part of
the community because our goals are not the same as theirs.