[Opensim-dev] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) douglas.maxwell3.civ at mail.mil
Thu Nov 12 14:26:02 UTC 2015

We looked into modifying the client about a year ago as part of our initial design reviews.  The licensing issues surrounding the client were so complex, we simply abandoned the effort.  This is why we are working on the HTML5/WebGL JavaScript version, to eliminate the client problem altogether.

Michael, the fact that you don't understand how proper simulator statistics reporting would benefit those who are trying to improve simulator performance means you should probably not be involved in the discussion.

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) (407) 242-0209<tel:%28407%29%20242-0209>
________________________________
From: opensim-dev-bounces at opensimulator.org [opensim-dev-bounces at opensimulator.org] on behalf of Michael Emory Cerquoni [nebadon2025 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:06 PM
To: opensim-dev at opensimulator.org
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [Opensim-dev] Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

I think the big problem is the viewer teams are slow to pickup these changes and fixes, most of the viewer projects seem quite dead to me at the moment, there have been major fixes we have all been waiting quite a very long time for Singularity to do, I cant speak with certainty but this project seems at best to be on pause.  Replex is no longer being updated, Kokua is no longer being updated, I can not say what is really happening with Firestorm as their involvement has always been through what seems to be a high power telescope from very far away.  Most of the other viewers all seem to serve a niche purpose.  We have OnLook viewer now which is designed with the intention of serving only the needs of OpenSimulator and not Second Life, but quite literally no one has volunteered to be involved.  What bothers me about saying get the viewer teams to fix it there is only one response, what viewer teams?  Also if that was the intended goal why was this not coordinated prior to the break, to just go ahead break something and then call it progress while leaving stuff broken and then say oh someone else should fix that is quite unprofessional in any setting.  We need to resolve this problem of viewer development or quite honestly this whole thing is dead in its tracks, without a constantly improving viewer OpenSim is looking more and more like a dead end.  That said its never to late to revive things and start wallking the path to improvement, but as a group we need to stop focusing on the wrong things.   What i see is people chasing ghosts of problems that are not the real core problems of what this project has and needs, with little to zero improvements as a result.  Can anyone name a single improvement that has come from changing the stats?  Where are the patches, where are the scientific write ups showing that this was a success, so far to me this whole thing with stats seems like a big distraction that is not only not beneficial so far, its causing strife between the developers.  Personally I don't have the solutions, my time is very limited anymore and I cant spend the time I have in the past testing things and coordinating people like I have, we need more people to step up and do the right thing without making people feel like its being shoved down their throats.