[Opensim-dev] Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Tue Nov 10 18:27:37 UTC 2015

On November 10, 2015 at 10:06:24 AM, Michael Emory Cerquoni (nebadon2025 at gmail.com <mailto:nebadon2025 at gmail.com> ) wrote:

I think the big problem is the viewer teams are slow to pickup these changes and fixes,
They rarely get reported to viewer teams.

most of the viewer projects seem quite dead to me at the moment, there have been major fixes we have all been waiting quite a very long time for Singularity to do, I cant speak with certainty but this project seems at best to be on pause.
Singularity’s last release was over a year ago. People get busy or move onto other projects more rewarding to them.

Replex is no longer being updated, Kokua is no longer being updated,
Kokua’s last release was three days ago.

I can not say what is really happening with Firestorm as their involvement has always been through what seems to be a high power telescope from very far away.
Firestorm still trudges along, but since I left their team, OpenSim support has not only stagnated, but appears to be decaying.

Most of the other viewers all seem to serve a niche purpose.  We have OnLook viewer now which is designed with the intention of serving only the needs of OpenSimulator and not Second Life, but quite literally no one has volunteered to be involved.  What bothers me about saying get the viewer teams to fix it there is only one response, what viewer teams?
Alchemy stays up to date. We watch the mailing lists. We monitor IRC. I removed the lag meter completely just now. (It’s a bit of a tool for dummies, and the Statistics floater provides developers with better monitoring.) I know Nicky Perian also watches the mailing list and IRC.

Also if that was the intended goal why was this not coordinated prior to the break, to just go ahead break something and then call it progress while leaving stuff broken and then say oh someone else should fix that is quite unprofessional in any setting.  We need to resolve this problem of viewer development or quite honestly this whole thing is dead in its tracks, without a constantly improving viewer OpenSim is looking more and more like a dead end.
You’ve been saying this for at least two years. Are viewer developers notified when a breaking change is made? No, not unless someone reports it. Are the apis documented? Sort of, but it means slogging through a disorganized wiki and usually digging into OpenSim code too. There isn’t a lot of motivation to jump in and work with no communication and bad documentation especially when those who are actually working on it are blamed for not picking up "changes and fixes” fast enough. Honestly, it’s disheartening to see a six months of effort being discarded as ‘slow’ because nobody will proactively reach out and file a jira or send an e-mail to us. Linden Lab is very good at communicating their needs with us. They have to be. Third party viewers account for the vast majority of their user base.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail