[Opensim-dev] Harvesting code from forks of Opensim

Fly Man fly.man.opensim at gmail.com
Wed May 27 00:18:33 UTC 2015

Let me answer most questions that have been shooting up in my personal
mailbox which have to do with Opensim as a project.

I'll start with perhaps the most easy part of the discussion: AuroraSim.

AuroraSim is a derivated from OpenSim, forked on the 14th of October 2010
after Rev (RevolutionSmythe) decided that Opensim wasn't going into the way
he personally had seen. He decided to fork the Opensim tree and renamed it
to AuroraSim. In the years following he upgraded parts of the source-code
and added a set of new functional code parts knows as the aaFunctions.

These functions are based on the code that he wrote at that moment for the
AuroraSim branch. Remember, this is an OLDER copy of what the current
Opensim branch is now. Most of the functions in there won't ever work in
Opensim mainly because Opensim does not have these older hooks.

In 2013 Rev was done with his education and decided to start working which
brought AuroraSim to a slower moving branch and patches weren't applied
instantly anymore. The last patch that was applied to the sourcecode was
Jan 2014 and the project slowly died.

So, currently there's no maintainer of any of the code that was/is in
AuroraSim other then what is currently in that GitHub repository.

Now here comes the part which Kevin already mentioned: "The fork is called
WhiteCore"

Indeed, WhiteCore is a fork of AuroraSim after I personally saw what was
happening to AuroraSim. I had been watching the slow pace for a longer
period of time and already had found 2 other people that had the same
"issue". So in December 2013 AuroraSim was forked and re-based as
WhiteCoreSim.

Currently in development with 2 other developers, I am 1 of the 3 lead
developers that actively maintain that "fork" although it's not even close
to what the endgoal for it will be.

1 thing that we broke "on purpose" when we changed the name is the
aaFunctions because only Rev knows exactly how they are meant to work. At
the moment there's no other person who knows what exactly the functions are
meant to do other then a better way to have NPC's spawn and some basic
functions that mimic the osFunctions.

Conclusion: There's no developer at the moment that can look into Rev's
head from a distance and ask him how the functions are meant to work (if
they still work at all) and my -1 was meant to say "Please do not put
things that no one knows about in OpenSim"