[Opensim-dev] Frame rates in OpenSim and SL and what I have seen.

M.E. Verhagen marceled9 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 22:17:14 UTC 2015

there are a lot of factors influencing framerate.

First of all is there your hardware, a decent graphics card is required to
get high framerates.
Second there is the content on the region. Lots of textures, big meshes and
lots of prims can gve low framerates, after all everything has to be
processed, but there a lots of good optimized good looking sims around who
will give decent framerates.
There is also the matter of the graphic settings and the viewer used. A lot
of viewers will even render meshes you will not see with high draw
distance.
And you should not forget the band with, then we are talking about your
download rate, the upload rate of the grid where the sim is running. If
either of those is low or throlled then framerates will al be bad.
Low ping times can also cause low framerates or more populiar said, will
give you a bad latency. In fact fact a ping time higher than 50 will cause
your viewer to lag behind a bit, you will notice this when walking and
stuff.
A lot of avatars can cause low framerates
and also things like bad meshes, a lot of phisical prims, scripts or
something like a wooden elevator can cause low framerates.

for the ocultus rift about 60 frames/second is needed. I do not think there
are a lot of viewers around giving that framerate since they are more
optimized for monitors and aim more for framerates of 15-45.Ofr rift you
will probaly need a recent graphic card. You will want the ping time as low
as possible, one below 20 sounds good for the ocultus

> Thank you Michael for your insight into this- I am at the FCVW and the
> frame rates are generally higher here than what I have been seeing lately.
> My iMac is late 2009 so it has a 512mb graphics card which struggled with
> Oculus Rift when I was trying it out. I had to go and buy a 4GB graphics
> card for a Win 7 machine I have to actually use the Rift.
>
> On OpenSim part of what you are saying is that a light region with less
> prims is going to give a better frame rate than a heavier region with more
> prims?
>
> I am going to do some tests with the Win machine and see if there are big
> differences in usability. It might be time to think about a new Mac!
>
> Steve LaVigne/ Steve Franklin inworld

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover
ZW/