[Opensim-dev] Mono 4.0 coming changes

Frank Nichols j.frank.nichols at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:36:29 UTC 2014

Exactly, Shaun, I agree. The other approach taken to its extreme is to stop all development of OS because what we have works for some (most?) people and any change brings with it the risk of incompatibility.

This discussion of when and whether to upgrade a project has been hashed out since the beginning of time on almost every project. It amazing how the same discussion occurs over and over and all the reasons remain the same and only the names change.

I guess, it would be impertinent of me to point out that this is an "ALPHA" release product and it is being held at ALPHA after so many years in development specifically so it can be changed at will, and people have been warned not to use it in commercial applications because it is ALPHA. But then when an change is suggested people complain because it might bring about incompatibilities... Ironic.

As I said, that was probably impertinent of me. Anyway, I guess my question is why should the advancement of OS be put on hold until the majority of users are using 5, 6 or 7 year old technology? If someone wants or needs to run old versions of the code that works for them, how is the incorporation and release of modern changes impacting them from continuing to do what they are before the release?

Frank

Sent from my iPad Air 2